CIP068: Alex Mathers on Keeping Your Focus
In this week’s episode of the Creative Introvert podcast I talk to Alex Mathers, of the Red Lemon Club.
I’m SO excited to share this week’s guest for you, because he’s probably someone who I have to thank most out of virtually all my guests, even though they’re all kick ass.
At the height of my artistic discontent: I had just graduated, and whilst I did have a lucky job at a web design agency, I was feeling creatively unfulfilled I found Alex’s work and spent hours trawling through his portfolio magazine site, Ape on The Moon.
Soon after, I got my first hints of what the possibilities of freelancing could be from the Red Lemon Club, so a BIG thanks goes to our guest today, Alex Mathers.
“Do what brings you to life, not just what you love.”
~ Alex Mathers
What we talked about:
- How Alex unexpectedly found illustration and a career as a freelancer
- How lack of focus actually helped Alex
- Some of the biggest challenges Alex faced as a freelancer
- The problem with ‘doing what you love’
- Alex’s biggest mentors and loved books
- Alex’s solution for the question: should I focus or diversify?
- Ape on the Moon
- The Red Lemon Club
- The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss
- On Writing Well by William Zinsser
- The War of Art by Stephen Pressfield
- The ONE Thing (my top tips on finding it)
You can leave a rating and review on iTunes (here’s how to do that) and I will be as happy as a lamb frolicking in sunshine (or sob into my pillow, depending on what you write.)