CIP026: Damian Keyes on Marketing for Musicians
In this week’s episode of the Creative Introvert podcast I talk to someone I connected with through Twitter – which is very fitting for our conversation because we really dive deep into what it means to use social media effectively and bust some myths that put a lot of creatives – introverts and extroverts alike – off the platforms.
Damian Keyes is a founder of The British Institute of Modern Music (BIMM) which is now valued at over £50M, and in 2010 started DK Music Management; where he helps musicians find work after leaving music education.
What we discussed:
- Damian’s plan for rockstardom
- The reality of the music business
- Are bassists the introverts of bands?
- How Damian identified his unique strengths to help others
- The value of collaboration
- Tips for being on stage
- The misconceptions about introversion
- Why there is such a stigma about self promotion from creatives
- The problem of perfection seeking
- Dealing with the fear of rejection
- It is a numbers game (and how to manage that)
- How social media is brand new but the underlying concept is age old
- Building relationships one at a time
- The importance of having real conversations online
- How to simplify, slow down and enjoy the journey
- Damian’s 1% rule
You can leave a rating and review on iTunes (here’s how to do that) and I will be as happy as a clam in a candy store (or sob into my pillow depending on what you write.)